Bound by the Arabian Sea to the west and Tamil Nadu to the east, with internationally renowned beaches, historic monuments and a rich cultural heritage, Trivandrum (AKA: Thiruvananthapuram), the beautiful capital city of Kerala, is listed as one of the world’s top ten paradises by National Geographic.
Vizhinjam is a small fishing harbour just 20km south of Trivandrum. Most cruise ships cannot dock there – no passenger terminal and almost zero tourist amenities; the few ships that do, need police clearance and immigration formalities to be done onboard and then a Zodiac for guests to get to the pier. However, a commercial port is currently being developed and a proposal for a state of the art cruise terminal has been submitted and is under review. With construction set to be completed in 2019, Vizhinjam port could make Trivandrum India’s next big and most beautiful cruise call, and the local Intercruises team is ready to welcome all the visit:
Glimpses of Trivandrum: Experience the history and culture of this capital city as you visit:
- SreePadmanabhaswamy Temple, a centuries old palace dedicated to Lord Vishnu
- Kuthira Malika Palace (Mansion of Horses, an example traditional Kerala architecture, with sloping roofs, overhanging eaves, pillared verandas and enclosed courtyards
- Napier Museum: A 19th century Indo-Saracenic structure that boasts a natural air-conditioning system and houses a rare collection of archaeological and historic artifacts
- Sree Chitra Art Gallery: A unique collection of traditional and contemporary Indian art, including creations of Raja Ravi Varma whose oil paintings adorn the walls
Padmanabhapuram Palace: Discover a unique palace from the 16th century and a fine specimen of Kerala’s indigenous architecture, with intricate rosewood carvings and sculptured décor, spread over six acres and surrounded by an old granite fortress
Ayurveda: Relax while local therapists massage your body with herbal oil, spreading the life force and rejuvenate the body and mind, whilst also reducing blood pressure and promoting good sleep.
Poovar – Kind Solomon’s Trading Port: Embark on a breath-taking journey to paradise; a small coastal village located on the banks of river Neyyar, in the southernmost tip of Kerala, virtually unspoiled and unexplored. Board a motorboat and glide on the enchanting backwaters, bordered by coconut groves and rare flora, with the tranquillity punctuated only by the sound of waves and the birds. It is believed that the trading ships of King Solomon landed in a port called ‘Ophir’, AKA Poovar.
- Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary & Crocodile Centre: Experience wildlife in the foothills of Agasthya at a sanctuary that is home to amazing varieties of flora and fauna, as you embark on a cruise through this untouched reservoir before visiting the Crocodile Breeding Centre, Deer Park and the Lion Safari Park.
- Handloom Weaving in Balaramapuram: View the unique craftsmanship of handloom textiles for the contemporary cloth wearing style of Kerala
Village Experience: Walk through the street for an insight of local life, its culture and tradition, as well as visiting a 2000 year old Shiva temple, an Ayurvedic village and plantations, viewing rubber taping, tender coconut plucking and planting your very own tree, before a visit to a pottery and wooden elephant carving centre.
For more information on Intercruises India, please contact Neeraj: email@example.com